Can you use AirPods on a plane? Yes, you definitely can! This post shares multiple ways how.
Since I travel so often, just like you, I was forever wondering, “Can you use AirPods on a plane?”
Specifically, I wanted to know if I could use AirPods with an airplane’s in-flight movie system. You know- like watch Harry Potter for the 52nd time.
Eventually, I figured out you can, and for the first time in many, many flights, I used my AirPods to watch a movie on the flight and the sound was great.
Keep reading to learn how you can use AirPods a plane with your own phone and the airplane’s in-flight movie system.
From Lust Till Dawn is a reader-supported site. Purchases made through links may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Learn more.
Can you use AirPods on a plane?
Short answer- yes, you can use AirPods on a plane.
There are two ways you can use AirPods on a plane:
- with your own device such as an iPhone or iPad as you already do
- or with the airplane’s in-flight entertainment system.
Yup, you heard right. You don’t need to use the bad, crackling headphones that the airplanes provide you anymore.
You can use your own AirPods to watch movies on the plane.
How to Use AirPods to Watch In-Flight Movies
Unfortunately with how airplanes’ in-flight entertainment system currently works, you can’t just bluetooth it with your AirPods directly.
You need to have an AirPods airplane adapter, and not just anyone, but one that actually works.
I actually wasted money on a cheap AirPods airplane adapter until I found AirFly, which actually works very well.
Which AirPods Airplane Adapter Works Best on Airplans
Like I said above, I tried using a cheap AirPods airplane adapter and it didn’t work, which was a total bummer and a waste of money.
Then I decided to actually spend a few extra bucks on a legit adapter with good reviews.
That’s how I found the brand AirFly.
AirFly has different styles of their airplane adapter. Here are the ones I recommend:
- AirFly Classic is the cheapest but it only has an 8-hour battery life. This will be fine for all domestic flights.
- AirFly Pro has a 16-hour battery life, which is better for long international flights.
- AirFly Duo can have two AirPod sets connected to them.
I personally got the AirFly Duo thinking that my husband and I could share it but in hindsight that was a mistake. It’s not like he would be leaning over my seat to share my screen with me… oh well! I tried.
Out of all of the AirFly adapters I listed, I would choose the AirFly Pro if you are a frequent international traveler or are not good with charging devices because it has the longest battery life.
How to Connect AirFly to AirPods
You might think that you need to connect your AirFly to iPhone but really you just need to connect AirFly to AirPods. Here’s how.
Before you go to the airport:
- Make sure to charge your AirFly fully at home.
- Pack it with you (seems obvious but it’s so small; it’s easy to forget).
Once you’re on the plane and settled in your seat:
- Turn AirFly on.
- Hold down the button so it goes into pairing mode.
- Hold down the circle on the back of your AirPods so it goes into your pairing mode.
- Once both AirFly and AirPods are paired, plug AirFly into the airplane seat tablet in front of you.
- Enjoy clear sounds of the movie from your AirPods!
It’s really so easy to use and makes watching movies on the plane so much more enjoyable.
I hope now you don’t have to wonder– Can you use AirPods on a plane?– and that you have a great flight!
Thanks for making it all the way down to the end of this post. If you found it to be helpful, you might like what I share on my Instagram @sarchetrit. You might like what I post on there too.
Till then, thanks for stopping by, and have a great day!