My year of wedding planning was… let’s say… not the most ideal year in my adult life, but with my Type A friends and me, my wedding day was perfect! We didn’t forget a thing, which made it go quite seamless. (Although to be honest, no matter what happens, you’re still going to have the most wonderful day if everything doesn’t go as planned– I promise.)
As for you, I’m sure adding travel to the wedding planning mix doesn’t make it the easiest to plan. Well, I’m here to help you! Here’s the most complete, stress-free destination wedding packing list.
Print it out, check it out twice, and don’t sweat the small stuff because YOU GOT THIS!
? Pin or bookmark this post for later.
Destination Wedding Packing List: Most Important Things to Pack
Although it might seem like everything is important, there are a few items on your destination wedding packing list that are the most important items. Make sure to pack these in your carry on luggage in case there’s a delay with your checked luggage.
- Plane tickets and hotel/car confirmations
- Visas (if necessary)
- Birth certificates
- Foreign-transaction fee credit and debit cards/cash
For the Bride
- Wedding dress or gown
- Comfortable wedding day shoes*
- Make up (if you’re doing your own)
- Jewelry (earrings, bracelet, necklace)
- Comfortable wedding day lingerie**
*Comfortable wedding shoes are a must since you’ll be standing during the whole ceremony and dancing the night away. Out of most shoe types, I find booties to be the comfiest!
**For your wedding day, I recommend NOT wearing your wedding night lingerie. Wear the most comfortable bra and underwear that you can’t see underneath your dress. Save the fancy stuff for later!
For the Groom
- Wedding tuxedo or suit
- Wedding day shoes
- Tie or bow-tie
Want to see photos of my wedding?
See them here, and feel free to reach out with any questions!
Destination Wedding Packing List: Day of Essentials
For what to pack for the wedding day, you can bring these in your carry-on, but if you’re feeling a bit antsy, which is totally normal, then pack as much as you can in your check-in bag.
For the Bride
- Wedding night lingerie
- Something old, new, borrowed, and blue
- Silk bouquet (if you’re not getting a fresh one there)
- Hair accessories such as clips, bobby pins, etc.
- Make up setting spray
- Dual-voltage hair straightener or curling iron*
- Change of shoes for dancing the night away at your reception and/or matches your reception dress**
*Your regular hair straightener or curling iron may not work abroad because of the difference in a country’s voltage. Please read this post to make sure you have a working hair appliance abroad.
**I can’t stress enough how important it is to have comfortable wedding shoes so you can enjoy your wedding to the max! For my own wedding, I couldn’t find comfortable wedding heels that were less than $349 so I had to make my own. After discovering Bella Belle Shoes, I wish I could travel back in time and have worn any of these comfortable and gorgeous handmade ones instead.
For the Wedding Ceremony and Reception
- Aisle runner
- Ring bearer pillow
- Flower girl basket
- Ceremony items like unity candle or
- Knick-knacks for guests such as fans or bubbles
- Cake topper
- A wedding invitation for the photos
- Seating place cards and table numbers
- Guest gifts and/or welcome bags*
*You may want to have a receipt on hand to show at customs so they know you are not reselling these. Most likely, you won’t be questioned, but it’s always a good idea to be extra prepped for your special day.
You might like: Best Tips from my Connecticut Wedding
Normally, adapters and multiple port USB charging stations aren’t on your usual list of things to bring to a wedding but because you are traveling abroad, they are quite important to enable your electronics to work abroad. Here’s what to pack for your destination wedding:
- Universal adapter
- Multiple port USB charging station (must use with an adapter if US plug)
- Camera and related charger*
- Memory card
- Cell phone and related cord
- Local sim card or international data plan for your phone
*For a light, compact camera, I use the Sony A6000, but for a full-frame camera, I love my Canon 6D. Since it’s your wedding day, the Sony A6000 or even your iPhone should be plenty as everyone else will be snapping pics for you! You can see examples of both cameras on my Instagram.
Toiletries and Self-Care Items
You’ll want your hygiene and health to be at its best on your wedding day abroad so perhaps you’ll want to pack a few of these items here:
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Hair brush
- Shaving cream
- Face wash
- Shampoo and conditioner because the hotel’s complimentary toiletries aren’t always the best
- Nail clippers
- Small scissors
- Nail filer
- Nail polish and remover
- Micro-fiber quick dry towel
- Aloe vera
- Insect repllent
- Contact lenses (extra is a good idea!)
- Birth control pills
- Over-the-counter medicine
- Prescription medicine
- Tampons, pads, or Diva Cup*
*I wore the Diva Cup on my wedding day and didn’t have to change it once. I didn’t even realize I started my period!
? Pin or bookmark this post for later.
Items for Flying Comfortably
Now these might not be the most necessary items for a flight, but having them will make your flight more comfortable so you can be in tip-top shape for your important day.
- Melatonin or sleeping pills
- Light jacket or shawl
- Ear plugs
- Eye mask
- Water bottle to refill at the airport
Bridal Clothes Packing Ideas
Not only is your destination wedding a wedding, but it’s also kind of like a vacation too since you’re abroad! Don’t forget to pack clothes for the whole week.
- Strapless bathing suit that won’t show tan lines on your wedding day
- Bathing suit cover up
- Sun hats
- Light sweater or shawl for indoor establishments with AC
- Shirts and sweaters
- Shorts and pants
- Evening dresses
- Bras suitable for your clothing
- Jacket if needed
Miscellaneous Wedding Items to Pack
Of course there are little things here and there that you may not want to forget. They’re not the most essential but having them will let go of that feeling of, “Hmmm… I feel like I forgot something.”
- Gifts for bride, groom, groomsmen, bridesmaids, parents and in-laws
- TSA approved luggage lock
- Safety pins
- Sewing kit
Now that you’ve packed everything and printed out this destination wedding packing list, trust the universe that everything will be magical on your wedding day. So excited for you to enter this new chapter of your life!
Thanks for stopping by! xo.
Come say hi to me on Instagram!
Let me know you read my post all the way down to here. That’d make me quite happy!